ThePRF.com Forum

The People's Republic of Football Forum
It is currently 5:40pm June 24, 2019

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wheel of Time series
PostPosted: 12:00pm May 22, 2019 

Have thanks: 2412 times
Xbox Live Gamertag: flynnjr
I think I'm still way ahead of you all but I want to get some stuff out of my head about this book while it's fresh in my head.

I'm at Chapter 42.

I am deeply hooked on this book. Deeply.

It's as straight as classic high fantasy gets. There hasn't been a ton of Big Mystery to try to figure out. According to Young Zack (who is doing the re-reads), there isn't anything to figure out until you're a couple of books into the series.

Every time I've run into something where I think "oh man, I bet character X is gonna [do something] with character Y, it just happens like 5 pages later.

But even with everything being Classic Fantasy, it's not a situation where I'm bored or anything.

It is definitely much longer than any book I would pick up on purpose. If I hadn't had the 40% jump start via audiobook and a drive to Chicago, i don't know that i would have even started it.

For this message the author Michael has received thanks: 3 Adam (2:25pm May 22, 2019), Ethan (9:20pm May 25, 2019), Kevin (12:43pm May 22, 2019)
 Post subject: Re: Wheel of Time series
PostPosted: 10:09am May 28, 2019 

~91% done.

Spoiler:
I am really in to the Wolf Brother stuff. Very cool idea and the Elyas was dope.

I'm curious to get to the end to hear about Rand's birth. He's obviously a different race and the Green Man has called him out as a Child of the Dragon. Is that because of his birthplace or of whatever is inside him?

Last edited by Michael on 9:56am May 29, 2019, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 9:23pm May 28, 2019 

The last 5% is a glossary. Would have been useful to know that at the front end.

PostPosted: 9:56am May 29, 2019 

100% done.

Spoiler:
So they didn't say anything about Rand's birth. For a book that didn't leave any plot mysteries, this is a big one for me that was left open.

The climactic battle was pretty cool. I like the idea of the anchoring ribbon/cord of Light or Dark.

The disappointment of the local king at what appeared to be the return of the Dragon was a cool angle. Because he knows that it's not gonna be Good Times. That part of the battle was killer.

Aes Sedai are cool. I like that she hid the Dragon banner, to try to keep a lid on what's really happening. No telling what her motives are.

The Gleeman has to come back later, right? It's a classic "no body no death" proposition. And there was a fair amount of talk about how Thom "might be more resourceful than you think."

The way Rand was kind of mad and stormed off at the end reminded me of Luke deciding to go to Dagobah even though he should have stayed with the rest of the gang. I haven't done any reading on what the next books are about. I wonder if we're in for a Tom Clancy-ish ride where we get dedicated chapters of the disparate plot threads that come together in a big, boss-killing reunion.

Either way, I'll buy in to at least the next book or two. I like that there is a lot of

For this message the author Michael has received thanks: Adam (10:36pm June 11, 2019)
PostPosted: 9:09am June 3, 2019 

Started the second book because of the Peter Grant delay.

Still very much in-in and I'm at about 10%.

PostPosted: 4:43pm June 3, 2019 

Have thanks: 1440 times
PSN Network name: kdoubs
I'm at Chapter 11 of the first book. I'm liking it a lot.

Spoiler:
The Warder and Aes Sedai are mysterious enough and the Trollocs are intimidating. Jordan is doing a good job of not showing too much yet. Rand is primed to be some hero from legend, growing up in a small unknown village. Would be a cool twist if it ended up being Mat or Perrin, but I'm doubting that's the case.

PostPosted: 3:07pm June 11, 2019 

Book 2, 60%

Spoiler:
I'm not loving this lengthy introduction to the Seanchan. They seem like bad motherf*ckers, though. And Aes Sedai on leashes?!? Gnarly.

I heard from Adam that the voice acting for Domon (captain of Spray) was a little over the top. Adam's not going to love this interlude.

Kevin called the book "cozy" and that is a terrific word for how it feels to tuck into this world and read a little bit.

Still into it. I'm churning through, way faster that I would have thought.

I've got Aaronovich coming up this weekend.

PostPosted: 2:46pm June 13, 2019 

Have thanks: 1174 times
PSN Network name: Wreck36
Book 1, 100%

Spoiler:
Agreed on Thom needing to/having to come back, he is too cool to be dead. Elyas was my favorite character, though it is probably a toss-up between him and Lan (the warder). The ending sure did go fast considering how many pages there are to get there. On that note, it is a thicc book, but it never feels like it waste time. There aren't any George and his food complaints to nag about. It moves.

PostPosted: 11:37am June 14, 2019 

Book 2 76%

Spoiler:
I'm glad I was right about Tom.

I feel like there could have been more time spent in the city with all of the backstabbing and intrigue. It's not my favorite thing in a fantasy novel but I would have liked a little more of it. Kind of like how Rothfuss did it.

The Waygates might be kind of dumb. I'm not sure yet because there hasn't been someone who knows how to use them. I'll hold judgement.

Gonna finish Book 2 and then go to Aaronovich.

And then it's looking like a short story anthology, and then it'll be back for Book 3.

PostPosted: 9:30am June 17, 2019 

Book 2 100%

Spoiler:
Nynaeve's trials to become Accepted were cool. Very Luke in the Dagobah tree and I am fine with that. I am a fan of her character. I didn't trust Liandrin and I was happy to see Nynaeve get away by explosively using The Power. She's cool.

I liked the idea of the Rand/Ba'alzamon being projected into the sky. Also very cool.

I didn't love Ingtar as Darkfriend. His confession scene was good but I didn't think it tied directly to the scene from the beginning of the book where all of the Darkfriends had their Eyes Wide Shut party. And it makes sense now that they kept mentioning that Hurin couldn't smell Darkfriends, since Ingtar would have been outed pretty easily that way.

I liked the duel between Rand and the High Lord, too. I think the swordfighting and the sword training have been done well. The names of the forms are cool.

Oh sh*t! How crazy was the melting of the Heron Marked Blade? I thought they were indestructible?

There is a lot of neat, classic fantasy stuff in here so far and I'm eating it up.

I'm gonna get a couple of other things from the pile read before I go to Book 3. I'm hyped to get there, though.